The Oratory – “A Brief History” – by Junior Murphy.
Following the Reformation the first Church of Ireland was built in Old Merchant Street Cahersiveen. in 1863 a new and bigger Church was erected in West Main Street, a site adjacent to the main road and opposite the Avenue which led to the Rectory. The land was purchased from local egg merchant Thomas Leslie.
The building is 170ft long and 100ft wide and was constructed of green sandstone. The cornerstones, the spire and the surrounds of the stain glass windows are all made with limestone. The Window Sills and Roof are made with Valentia Slate.
As a Church, the interior could accommodate up to 200 people.
For 100 years the church was the headquarters for the Church of Ireland community in Cahersiveen. However, following the establishment of the free state in 1922, the numbers dropped considerably and eventually the church closed its doors for the last time following the funeral of local businessman Harold Blennerhassett in February 1968.
Shortly after, the building was purchased by the O’Driscoll family and Aine O’Driscoll ran it as a craft shop and art Gallery during the 80’s 90’s.
In June 2016 the Emma louise Benson and Daragh O’Driscoll converted the Church into the Gourmet Pizza & Wine Bar that you see today.
Emma Louise Benson and Daragh O’Driscoll opened the doors to The Oratory Pizza & Wine Bar in June 2016. Since then it has served thousands of tourists and locals with excellent quality gourmet pizzas. All our ingredients are fresh and we source locally where possible. Open every day from April to October from 5pm and weekends there after. For more details on our opening times please see our Facebook page.